Sunday, March 27, 2011

Festival Overview: SXSW Favorites

My first SXSW experience felt a lot like when I moved to New York - overwhelming. I always felt like I was missing something important, because there is no way to do it all. So I struggled through SXSW's awkward online schedule to find what was doable during my time in Austin and populated my Google calendar with bands and venue addresses.

Despite my planned itinerary, the first show I attended was unexpected and transpired through a hired local handing out copies of The Onion, yelling "Yeasayer! Free show! Free drinks!" That evening, through a fortunate series of events (that involved walking up to the right crowd and sticking my wrist out) I found myself at the Moody Theatre with an Internet Explorer VIP wristband. I got a seat, a great view of the stage (complete with an animated forest backdrop), and as much local and delicious Cornucopia toffee popcorn I wanted. Electro-pop group, Fences, from Seattle opened, followed by melodically folksy fellow Seattleites, The Head and the Heart. But it was Brooklyn's Yeasayer who really got me to put down my popcorn and groove. For a band that specializes in making music for moving bodies, I felt the crowd could have moved more. Yeasayer would have been better suited to a more intimate venue packed with college kids ready to dance their asses off. Still, Yeasayer managed to keep piling on infectious new wave synthesizer melodies with cathartic choruses and bouncy psychedelic pop beats so that the energy level kept building throughout the show. The stand out performance was “Madder Red” off of 2010’s Odd Blood. The crowd (myself included) sang the yodel-like chorus in unison with lead singer Chris Keating. Fan favorite, "I Remember” was left out of the set in one of the few disappointments of the show.

North Carolina natives, EAR PWR, played on the 512 Rooftop. The adorable duo, made up of Sarah Reynolds and Devon Booze, dropped great synth-dance grooves while singing and talking about their love for North Carolina and how great national parks are. In between songs Sarah told the crowd "I love y'all" and yelled down to spectators below on bustling 6th Street. The show turned interactive during a performance of "Your Life Is Important" when she walked into the crowd with her microphone and gave everyone hugs. I left feeling better. Anyone looking for a similarly therapeutic experience only has a few more chances to see EAR PWR live before they finish up their US and UK tour.

My favorite show of the week was by EAR PWR’s Carpark Records labelmate, Toro Y Moi. After missing several previous Toro Y Moi, aka Chazwick Bundick, shows at the festival, I managed to catch a free afternoon performance at Red 7’s small outdoor stage. The buzzing anticipation wavering through the crowd promised that we all knew we were in for a treat. Chaz's dreamy South Carolina voice over funky melodies with the warm Texas setting sun lulled me into a happy trance (further aided by Lone Star beer). Most of the songs in the set came from the recently released and critically acclaimed album, Underneath The Pine. Toro Y Moi is continuing to tour the US and Europe through the end of the summer, but I'm sure the venues will be 8 times bigger and the shows won't be free. You see, that's the magic of SXSW.