Friday, April 29, 2011

Concert Review: Yuck


I was excited to see that London-based rock group, Yuck, was coincidentally playing in San Francisco while I was planning to be there. I thought my Ticketmaster days had ended with high school graduation, but these British kids gets me a little giddy, so I bought my ticket immediately.

They opened for Australian psychedelic rock band,
Tame Impala, at the historic Fillmore Auditorium. By the time I found parking, the 8pm show had already started - reminding me again of high school's early shows on school nights.

It was Yuck's second time playing in San Francisco, but they considered it their first due to being so jet-lagged the last time. They actually seemed a bit jet-lagged this time too. It is clear that they are a new band and have not yet found their confidence on-stage, with a young lead singer and a self-titled album that just came out in February. Or maybe their presence matches their overall lo-fi sound - relaxed and introspective. Either way, they are on-point and I can't stop listening.

They played almost every song from the
Yuck album, except personal favorite and album highlight, "Suck".

Yuck continues to tour the U.S. until May 6th, before returning to the U.K.