Friday, November 4, 2011

Concert Review: Battles

"You're at a rock show on a Tuesday night. You're already successful."
 
-Ian Williams, guitar and keyboards 
 
 
Battles performed Tuesday evening at Webster Hall in Manhattan. I had no idea what I was getting into, but a friend had been clamoring about this show for months. The best way to describe the concert experience is with two words: organized chaos.
 
Their sound veers across a musical spectrum that is difficult to describe. So, give this a listen as you read on:
 

Their latest release Gloss Drop exemplifies this complex sound (steel drums, cicada-sounding beats, manipulated vocals, distorted guitar, and driving percussion). The band's creativity isn't limited to their musical arrangments. Since vocalist Tyondai Braxton left Battles, they recruited various artists to sing on the album. What other way to bring talented (and busy) artists into a live concert than with video? Using two large rectangular video screens we were graced with closeups of Gary Numan, Blonde Redhead's Kazu Makino, and Matias Aguayo singing and dancing awkwardly.
 
Battles goes off on tangents of experimental discord and when I'd think they were just conducting a live jam experiment, they'd bring it back with speedy synchronization in-tune with the flashing colors on the illuminated screens behind them. Drum beats perfectly in-sync with these blasts of color over the audience reminded me that this was in fact, organized chaos.
 
The building dance beats of "Futura" put me into a trance in which I actually closed my eyes for the entirety of the song (six minutes I'll have you know, and no, I wasn't drinking).